Exercise #1: Make a fist
You can do this easy exercise anywhere and anytime your hand feels stiff.
- Start by holding your left hand out with all of your fingers straight.
- Then, slowly bend your hand into a fist, placing your thumb on the outside of your hand. Be gentle, don’t squeeze your hand.
- Open your hand back up until your fingers are straight once again.
Do the exercise 10 times with the left hand. Then repeat the whole sequence with the right hand.
Exercise #2: Finger bends
- Start in the same position as in the last exercise, with your left hand held up straight.
- Bend your thumb down toward your palm. Hold it for a couple of seconds.
- Straighten your thumb back up.
- Then bend your index finger down toward your palm. Hold it for a couple of seconds. Then straighten it.
Repeat with each finger on the left hand. Then repeat the entire sequence on the right hand..
Exercise #3: Thumb bend
- First, hold your left hand out with all of your fingers straight.
- Bend your thumb inward toward your palm.
- Stretch for the bottom of your pinky finger with your thumb. If you can’t reach your pinky, don’t worry. Just stretch your thumb as far as you can.
- Hold the position for a second or two, and then return your thumb to the starting position.
Repeat 10 times. Then do the exercise with your right hand.
Exercise #4: Make an ‘O’
Start with your left hand out and fingers straight.
- Curve all of your fingers inward until they touch. Your fingers should form the shape of an “O.”
- Hold this position for a few seconds. Then straighten your fingers again.
Repeat this exercise a few times a day on each hand. You can do this stretch whenever your hands feel achy or stiff.
Exercise #5: Table bend
- Place the pinky-side edge of your left hand on a table, with your thumb pointed up.
- Holding your thumb in the same position, bend the other four fingers inward until your hand makes an “L” shape.
- Hold it for a couple of seconds, and then straighten your fingers to move them back into the starting position.
Repeat 10 times, and then do the same sequence on the right hand.
Exercise #6: Finger lift
Place your left hand flat on a table, palm down.
- Starting with your thumb, lift each finger slowly off the table one at a time.
- Hold each finger for a second or two, and then lower it.
- Do the same exercise with every finger of the left hand.
After you’re done with the left hand, repeat the entire sequence with the right hand.
Exercise #7: Wrist stretch
Don’t forget about your wrists, which can also get sore and stiff from arthritis.
- To exercise your wrist, hold your right arm out with the palm facing down.
- With your left hand, gently press down on the right hand until you feel a stretch in your wrist and arm.
- Hold the position for a few seconds.
Repeat 10 times. Then, do the entire sequence with the left hand.