- What is hypertension or high blood pressure?
Blood pressure is the force of blood in your arteries. The right pressure varies from person to person and needs to be regulated. Only then will your system function smoothly. The American Heart Association considers 120/80 as the standard blood pressure limit. Pre-hypertension is when your parameter is between 120/80 and 140/90. Anything above 140/90 is hypertension and is dangerous.
- The why: Yoga for high blood pressure
- Yoga asanas involve breathing consciously and deeply while synchronizing your body movements. They can help control blood pressure naturally, primarily by relieving stress.
- Yoga asanas can soothe the nerves and help slow down an abnormal heart rate.
- Yoga helps in increasing immunity and reducing incidences of heart problems like heart attacks and strokes.
- Lack of sufficient rest is the primary reason for stress and hypertension. Yoga helps regularize sleep habits and patterns.
- Obesity can also lead to hypertension. Regular practice of yoga and an improved diet regulates body weight.
- Yoga gives positive energy to the body and mind. It makes you happier and more hopeful in life. In the long run, this helps to regulate blood pressure levels.
The following yoga asanas can help lower high blood pressure. However, it would be best to practice them under the guidance of a trained specialist.
- Shishuasana (Child Pose)
Relieves stress and fatigue. It also normalizes blood circulation.
- Vajrasana (Diamond Pose)
This pose can be done even after lunch or dinner. It helps to control obesity and increases blood flow to the lower abdomen.
- Paschimottanasana (Forward Bend Pose)
It helps reduce fatty deposits in the abdominal region, thus enabling weight loss. It also acts as an effective stress reliever and normalizes high blood pressure.
- Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
Relieves stress, depression, and fatigue. It helps the body relax and prepare for sound sleep. It also stimulates blood circulation. You could also practice the Yoga Nidra.
- Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
This meditative pose calms and unites the body and mind. It helps reduce high blood pressure as it makes your body more balanced and your mind, free and joyful.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half Spinal Twist)
Stimulates the heart and nervous system, helping to normalize high blood pressure.
- Badhakonasana (Butterfly Pose)
Stimulates the heart and leads to better circulation of blood all over the body. It also relieves stress and weariness.
- Janusirsasana (One-legged Forward Bend)
Works effectively on your tummy fat by massaging your abdominal organs. By affecting weight loss, it helps regulate the pressure of the blood so that it stays at a normal level.
- Virasana (hero pose)
Increases blood circulation around the legs and helps in regulating blood pressure.
- Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
Energizes the kidneys and soothes the nervous system. It helps to regulate blood pressure in the body.
- Ardha halasana (half plow pose)
It helps burn fat in the thighs, abdomen, and hips. It also helps control high blood pressure.
- Pranayamas for high blood pressure
Apart from yoga asanas, these pranayamas or breathing exercises can also help control your blood pressure levels.
- Bhastrika Pranayama (Breath of Fire)
Increases oxygen supply to all parts of the body, thus improving blood circulation. It relieves stress and hypertension.
- Kapal Bhati pranayama (skull shining breathing technique)
It helps remove fat from the belly region and is useful in general weight loss.
- Bhramari pranayama (bee breath)
The vibrations generated by this pranayama resonate within and deeply relax the body and mind. It relieves tension and anxiety and also helps balance high blood pressure.
- Nadi shodhan pranayama (alternate nostril breathing technique)
This calming and powerful pranayama helps to remove blockages in your arteries to a great extent. It also improves blood circulation in the head region.
- Full yogic breathing
It helps you breathe slowly. If your heart rate is too fast, this technique helps slow it down and relaxes your whole body.